Consideration of materials used
Factors affecting the type and amount of insulation to use in a building include:
- Thermal conductivity
- Moisture sensitivity
- Compressive strength
- Ease of installation
- Durability – resistance to degradation from compression, moisture, decomposition, etc.
- Ease of replacement at end of life
- Cost effectiveness
- Environmental impact and sustainability
Considerations regarding building and climate:
- The average climate conditions in the geographical area the building is located
- The temperature the building is used at
Often a combination of materials is used to achieve an optimum solution and there are products which combine different types of insulation into a single form.